President George H.W. Bush
June 12, 1924 – November 30, 2018
Honoring George Herbert Walker Bush for his lifelong accomplishments and service to our country.
- George H.W. Bush graduated from Phillips Academy in Andover, Maryland on his 18th birthday, June 12, 1942 and on the same day enlisted in the United States Navy.
- United States Navy Career – 1942 – 1945. At that time he became the youngest Naval Aviator.
- George Bush married Barbara Pierce on January 6, 1945. They were married for 73 years having six children, 17 grandchildren and 7 great grandchildren.
- In 1948 Bush graduated from Yale University, Phi Beta Kappa
- In 1954 at age 30 was co-founder and president of Zapata Off-Shore which pioneered oil drilling equipment.
- In 1971 he served as U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations
- In 1973 he became chairman of the Republican National Committee
- In 1974 he was Chief of the U.S. Liaison Office in Beijing, during the period when the U.S. was renewing ties with China.
- Director of Central Intelligence and Head of the CIA from Jan. 30, 1976 – Jan. 20, 1977
- Two-term Vice President of the United States, 1980-1988
- President of the United States Jan. 20, 1989 – Jan. 20, 1993
George H.W. Bush Presidential Library and Museum, November 6, 1997
USS George H.W. Bush (CVN 77) commissioned January 10, 2009